Thursday, December 20, 2007

Honk! Honk!

As I was driving in to work this morning, I noticed that the sky was full of geese heading south. I’ve seen a few migratory flocks here and there over the last couple months. Today it looked like most of the remaining teams got the memo to wing their way to warmer climates.

It reminded me of an illustration I heard at a youth retreat a few years ago.

A flock of geese will usually fly in a V-formation. In this way, the bird at the front (point) of the V takes the brunt of any head-wind and the other birds flying behind him don’t have to work as hard. Periodically the birds rotate leaders in order to allow him to “rest” by flying in the wake of the others. A different goose assumes the lead role. In this way they all share the work load. According to the speaker (whose name I cannot remember), the reason the geese in formation “Honk” is to encourage their leader. They know that at some point, they will be at the front of the flock and will need the encouragement of their peers to stand their ground and do their job.

So when I saw all of the V-formations over Denver this morning, I started to wonder whether we spend enough time encouraging our leaders either at work, church, government, family, or elsewhere. Do we (do I) spend more time criticizing and complaining about the things that are done poorly than I spend complimenting and encouraging the things that are done well? Do I encourage them to stand their ground on moral and policy issues and to do their jobs well? Do I take the time to say “Well done” when I appreciate the work they’ve done, the things they’ve said, the little accomplishments that the rest of the world does not notice, or the content of their character?

Something to think about. Something to implement.

No comments: