Saturday, December 17, 2022

Finding Balance

There have been a few questions about my foot lately. Here is the current status…

I started taking a pharmaceutical in July to help minimize further joint damage. As of September’s x-ray, there has been no additional deterioration to the bone or joint.


The drug I am on suppresses my immune system so illness has been a bigger struggle than before. I knew this was a trade-off when I started taking it.


My doctor lowered my dose by 20% in September because I could not see to recover from illness after a trip. I had been sick for about 3 weeks by that time. 


The day after that doctor visit, my massage therapist told me that my lymphatic system is not draining. It turns out that the illnesses I am prone to when my immune system is down is tied to the lymphatic system. 


I am learning some about the lymphatic system and managing it in light of being on an immunosuppressive drug. Next week I have an appointment with my rheumatologist for a quarterly follow up and will be talking to him more about this.


As for mobility with the damage in my foot, I am learning to balance more in the center of my foot than on the outer edge. I have found a couple pair of shoes that help to force my balance in the right place and, even without them, I’m starting to get more consistent at walking with the correct balance. 


I’m starting to find the right balance point for kicks and some stances in karate but I’m not yet consistent. Sometimes that can leave my foot a little sore by the end of a class, as the incorrect stance can make the damaged bone poke at the soft tissue a bit. Finding the right balance point for each stance will be a process of time.


Thanks for praying and journeying with me.

No comments: