Saturday, June 09, 2007

Emily

When I was growing up one of my favorite authors was L.M. Montgomery. I read the Anne of Green Gables and Emily series', as well as The Story Girl. All of the heroines are characteristically self-reflective, story-telling, dreamers who are strong but feel criticism very deeply. As a book progresses, change is reflected in the character as circumstances, reactions, people, and her own beliefs mold her.

Today I picked up "Emily's Quest" and decided to read it again. I was probably in high school the last time I read it. At that time I really resonated with the character Emily. Aside from her aspiration to be a creative writer (a talent that I do not possess), I wanted to be like her.

I haven't gotten too far into the book yet. There is one quote that struck me. On page 6 Emily says goodbye to her best friend Ilse who is leaving for college. Montgomery narrates:
"The two girls parted with the tears and vows of girlhood. Never to meet on quite the same ground again. For, disguise the fact as we will, when friends, even the closest--perhaps the more because of that very closeness--meet again after a separation there is always a chill, lesser or greater, of change. Neither finds the other quite the same. This is natural and inevitable. Human nature is ever growing or retrogressing--never stationary. But still, with all our philosophy, who of us can repress a little feeling of bewildered disappointment when we realise that our friend is not and never can be just the same as before--even though the change may be by way of improvement?"

As I read on, I have discovered that while I still hold Emily in high regard, I no longer resonate with her in the manner I once did. Life happened and I have changed. I'm a little sad. I do not know if I should finish the book because to do so will change Emily, with all her romantic notions about living in old big houses, wandering around the countryside, and knowing her neighbors, forever in my mind.

1 comment:

Womp Hannah Kim/Hannie Kimmie etc said...

For me, those books...womp womp!