Saturday, July 21, 2007

Parts is Parts

About a year and a half ago I managed to damage the plastic clasp side of the passenger seatbelt in my car. How is not really a good story so I won't bother to share how.

Until recently it has been very rare to have someone else riding in my car so this little problem hasn't really been an issue.

Well, several months ago I decided that it either needed to be fixed or replaced. I pulled the part and spend an inordinate amount of time checking for a way to fix it. No dice.

So, I called a parts store and was told that this is one of those "special" parts that must be purchased through a dealer. I called a dealer. They wanted $200 to replace the one little part. The reasoning? "It's a safety device so we have to sell you the entire assembly." Yeah, right.

I called my dad and was told that I should be able to get what I need for under $50 at a junk yard.

My experience at junk yards is that, unless I have a man with me who looks like he knows cars, I get to pay a premium for any part I want just for the privilege of being female. It's very irritating.

So, I asked my awesome uncle (who knows salvage yards like the back of his hand) to go with me. He said he didn't need to go with me. I just need to know the right yards to shop at. "Go to Pull 'n Save." My aunt agreed with him and notified me that she goes in there and has no problem. Two days later I was talking to my other uncle and he agreed with the first uncle's statement.

So, today (ok, technically yesterday as of 37 minutes ago) one of my friends (also female) was bored enough to accompany me to the junk yard. There was exactly 1 car that had the part we needed. So, for $5.34 and half an hour of our time, we got the part. Another 5 minutes and it was installed.

So, thanks to my very knowledgeable, often wise uncles, that problem with my car has been fixed for $194.66 LESS than the Chevy dealership wanted for the very same part.

The money savings is great. But I am particularly happy that I can go to a junk/salvage yard and be treated as if I have some knowledge and an ability to use tools... and not be charged a premium to do so just because of my gender. I am certain that Pull 'n Save will receive more of my business in the future.

1 comment:

Cassie T. said...

You girls are so cool. I wish I could be cool like that someday. Meanwhile, I make friends with mechanics and hope they can hook me up on occasion! A different solution...perhaps just as effective...