Thursday, November 01, 2007

Crazy

Yesterday morning, after arriving at work, my emotions began to rollercoaster. This does not happen to me often. Usually I am pretty rational. At least that’s what I tell myself.

By lunchtime I was frustrated with being emotional and feeling rather blah. I decided to go out for lunch.

Driving up I-25 I noticed a sign for Target. “Oh, I need to get a wedding shower gift.” I decided to go shopping. Shopping trip successfully completed some 35 minutes later and then I was hungry.

There was Wendy’s in the parking lot. For some unknown reason I an extra sandwich. I drove away thinking, “Why did I get a sandwich?”

Headed back down I-25 and exited at the road leading back to work. I was in the right-hand left turn lane about half-way up the exit ramp. Then I noticed man at the side of the road whose sign said simply, “In Need”. I thought, “I don’t really have any cash. But I have this sandwich.” The light changed.

As I rounded the corner I rationalized, “If I didn’t get to him before the light changed, I don’t need to give him the sandwich….” I continued with, “I’m hungry anyway. But he LOOKS hungry. And if I have to justify why I’m not turning around, I’d probably better turn around.”

So, back up I-25 to the next exit to turn around and come back down I-25. I made sure to get into the left hand left turn lane this time. But as I was coming down the ramp, the light was green and staying that way. I slowed way down and prayed it would change. As I pulled up next to the man and handed him the sandwich, he thanked me, blessed me, and said, “The car in front of you even gave me something to drink with it!” and indicated a soda. I said that he was very welcome and he began to talk.

“You know, it is really very hard to get up in the morning when you have nothing and to trust the Lord that He will use your fellow man to help you out.”

“But He provides, doesn’t He?”

“Yes, he sure does.” He looked off into space for a minute, tapped the side of my car, and stepped back just before the light changed.

So then I wanted to cry again… no longer because my emotions were running crazy but because I realized that God allowed me temporary emotional insanity so that this man, who certainly has more faith than I, could have lunch. What a crazy, awesome God. He cares about someone’s lunch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow awesome story Crystal!

Cassie T. said...

Not only does He care about someone's lunch, but I for some reason like the fact that He would "disrupt" your life to give someone that lunch. I can think of times when He's used me in a way that I didn't really understand...simply to bless someone else. And I'm sure the reverse has been true, too, where He's used someone else to bless ME! It's so humbling.