Sunday, October 21, 2007

Habit Held, Lesson Learned

Sunday is grocery day. Grandma and I go every week. We take her car because she can get in and out of it more easily than mine and it has the handicapped license plates so that Grandma can park close enough to walk into the building.

Any given week several people may drive that car. Each of us prefers a different setting for the seat.

Last Sunday it was raining when we came home from the store.

Today the car had 2 inches of snow to be removed before we could leave the house. Since I had already shoveled and salted the sidewalks, Grandma came outside and got in the car. I thought I would let the car warm up while during the snow removal process. I started the car and popped the trunk (to get out the brush). As I opened the door and stooped to get out of the car, the windshield wipers summarily removed the snow from the windshield... onto my back and into the car.

Grandma found this exceptionally funny. I was somewhat bewildered as I didn't even know the windshield wipers were on. I began removing snow from the rest of the car and wondering, "Who didn't turn off the wipers?" And then it hit me. The seat is set for the short kid. (That's me.)

So, my habit of not turning off windshield wipers was the source of entertainment for a portion of the day. Grandma and I laughed halfway to the store about that.

No comments: