Monday, December 22, 2008

Adoption Update 12/22/08

Tonight I went to the monthly Waiting Families Group with the county. My social worker was there and asked me to stay afterward to talk about the adoption.

Every month we go around the table and each waiting family is asked to share about the child(ren) for whom they are waiting. Tonight the social workers specifically wanted to know whether each family would consider siblings or not. I was next to last and when they got to me and I said I definitely wanted siblings, my social worker said, "We'll try to change your mind on that." This made me suspicious about the conversation she wanted to have after class and I ended up spending the entire class thinking about whether I would be willing to take only one child. I decided "No".

Then I sat down with the social worker and she started telling me about a child that she and the child's case worker think would be a good fit. One child; not siblings. The GAL (guardian ad litem), which is the child's attorney, isn't so sure about a single mom for this child. She's concerned about the child having positive male influences in his life. My social worker has tried to explain that I have men around who would be good influences: in my family, at church, and in my friend network. She has talked the GAL into at least meeting me and getting to know me a little as a consideration.

So tonight she had to convince me. I've agreed to at least meet with the GAL and get more information on the child before making a decision one way or the other.

No comments: