Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Advent Tea

Tonight I had the opportunity to share my adoption journey and experience with Project 1.27 with the ladies of a Lutheran Church in the Denver area. They were kind enough to share the offering from their Advent Tea with Project 1.27.

I don’t know how many people were there. I think that there were about 10 to a table and certainly more than 15 tables. It was very interesting to see what portions of my story induced conversations with which people. (If you want the entire text of the talk, email me and I will send it to you.)

So many of the ladies were gracious enough to pronounce or wish God’s blessing on my children, our family, and the adoption process. One shared her story of having been adopted and another shared of traveling to Bangor, India on a mission trip to work with a pastor who God has called to care for orphans there.

One asked how she can pray for those who might not be supportive of the decision to adopt. I thought that was very kind of her. She doesn’t even know me and chances are good that we won’t meet again.

One lady is praying that the county will find my boys very soon.

One lady told me that I forgot to ask them to pray for God to send me a husband but that it was ok because she was going to be praying that for me.

Others didn’t stop to chat but patted my shoulder or gave me a hug as they walked by. I really thought it was so great that people who didn’t know me before hearing my story had no trouble touching someone that they had never met while that person was talking to someone else. I am certain that most of the churches I’ve visited, the ladies would have waited around to get the attention of the speaker or would have skirted around the group if the person was engaged in another conversation. It was really very family-ish. What a sweet group of ladies.

No comments: