If you know me very well, you know that I use opportunities that come up to teach people on whatever subject is at hand. Some of you have asked for help understanding or using social networking sites like Facebook. I recently came across a situation that I realized I haven't shared. I will explain it as best I can below and if you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
If someone on your friend list posts a vague statement, it is great if you ask for clarification. This lets them know that you are interested in their life and care about them. However, if they do not post a response in the open and you find out or figure out the answer, do not post it in explicit terms. There may be reasons why the information cannot yet be posted in the open. Often people will reply to an openly posted question from you with a private message.
For example:
Friend says: I'm so glad it's almost over!
My comment: What's almost over?
Friend #2 comment: Yeah, what's almost over?
Friend never answers in public but may answer you in a private email or may not make a comment.
Good etiquette at this point is to either not post another comment on this or to respond in private message. Posting another response such as "Oh, I figured it out. You're almost finished with work/ministry/relationship and getting ready to move to another state." OR "Oh, that's right. Hope all goes well when you talk to John this afternoon." It's possible that my friend has Facebook friends from work (like their boss) who don't know that information yet. Posting something like this could cause them problems at work. Or if the statement was about a relationship that the individual is planning to end, it could create an atmosphere of tension for another person who just found out by reading FB that the individual they are with is breaking up with them.
A good response at this point might be "Hey, I figured it out. Much success with everything. Praying for you." This keeps the data under wraps but also gives your friend the knowledge that you know and support them.
No comments:
Post a Comment