Yesterday I had the meeting with the county to fill out the final paperwork for the adoption. While I was there, I found out that my fingerprints are expired so I had to be reprinted.
The county has a neat electronic fingerprinting system. Unfortunately, last year, the computer didn’t think my fingerprints were good enough on two separate occasions so I had to go to the police department for printing. Today they took my prints twice because the computer didn’t think they were good enough. They were able to go ahead and transmit one set and are saving the second set in case the first one comes back rejected.
Once the background check (reason for prints) is complete, the county will be able to schedule a hearing date with the court. It could be up to 6 weeks.
I’ve requested the first available date for the hearing. I was asked if I would be willing to take a last minute hearing date if one came available and I said I would. Apparently they often have trials or other hearings cancelled and the court will ask if there is anything that can be moved up so I might get a phone call saying that the court has an opening two days from now and, if that happens, we’ll take it.
The county has a neat electronic fingerprinting system. Unfortunately, last year, the computer didn’t think my fingerprints were good enough on two separate occasions so I had to go to the police department for printing. Today they took my prints twice because the computer didn’t think they were good enough. They were able to go ahead and transmit one set and are saving the second set in case the first one comes back rejected.
Once the background check (reason for prints) is complete, the county will be able to schedule a hearing date with the court. It could be up to 6 weeks.
I’ve requested the first available date for the hearing. I was asked if I would be willing to take a last minute hearing date if one came available and I said I would. Apparently they often have trials or other hearings cancelled and the court will ask if there is anything that can be moved up so I might get a phone call saying that the court has an opening two days from now and, if that happens, we’ll take it.
Follow up:
I had a lot of people ask how it is that fingerprints can expire and wondering why the county was unable to retransmit the prints from previous years. I thought it would be best to just take a minute and explain it all at one time.Each year the county runs a background check to make sure that they are not placing kids with some sort of criminal and to make sure that any criminal activity of the adult with whom a child is placed that has not reported to them gets flagged.
Each year they need a new set of prints because they have to verify the identity with a state issued photo ID and that means comparing the person on the ID to the person standing there. After verifying identity, they retake the prints for one of two reasons: (1) if the prints were taken electronically, they are only allowed to be stored for a certain amount of time OR they want to guarantee that the prints have not been tampered with [not to mention that the FBI/CBI apparently have a rule about not accepting re-transmits of the same prints and (2) if the prints were done on a paper card, the card has already been submitted and is therefore unavailable to be submitted again.
The usual reason that the computer has trouble with my prints (or so I've been told) is that I end up with a lot of cracks in my prints because I'm not typically hydrated enough. I've learned that if I'm going to be fingerprinted, I need to drink about twice as much water as usual for a couple days before in order to make the prints come out well. Unfortunately, yesterday I was unaware that I was going to be printed until half way through the meeting. [The lady left me a message apparently last week to give me a heads up but it wasn't on either of my phones so she may have mis-dialed.]
No comments:
Post a Comment