As I was praying for a friend, I was reminded of my grandmother.
Toward the end, Grandma had dimentia and it led to some rather humorous interactions. Sometimes she would poke fun at herself because of her memory. Sometimes, she just had no idea when things could be funny.
After she moved to assisted living, I stopped by one evening after work on my way to pick up my son from after school care. She was in the dining room and she told me to sit down with her and chat.
It was a square table and she was sitting across from a friend. I sat at the side of the table on her right. Not long before I left, I moved over to sit right next to her and give her a hug. The entire visit, I had been calling her "Grandma".
When I moved over, her friend suddenly said, "Now that you are sitting together, I can see that you look alike!"
Grandma looked completely shocked. Possibly a little horrified. She exclaimed, "I look like HER?!"
Her friend confirmed it and I said, "Well, sometimes that happens with Grandma's and granddaughters."
Grandma: "Really??"
Oh, my sweet Grandma. She knew her name was "Grandma" but she in that moment, she could not associate the named relationship with the physical one. And pretty soon we were all laughing about how crazy it was that I looked like her.
No comments:
Post a Comment