In late October, the boy tore his ACL messing around on the basketball court at camp.
Since then it’s been a whirlwind of not-the-normal-routine: doctor’s appointments, surgery, driving to school so that crutches don’t have to go over ice on a hill, physical therapy, multi-day power outage, shoveling snow because the boy couldn’t, and the usual end of year insanity at work.
I think I spent 3 months functioning either on adreneline or “because I have to”. Always tired.
Three weeks ago, the load started to lighten up. The boy can help with snow shoveling. He’s not ready for sports but he can bend the knees and lift the snow now. He’s been back to riding the bus to school for a while. He started taking himself to PT (walking from school) instead of me having to schedule late lunch breaks. We haven’t had 20” snowstorms and power outages - just some small 2”-5” inch storms. The beginning of year at work is typically lower pressure and this year is no exception.
I am starting to have time to catch up on the to-do items that got missed in the chaos. Which means my brain has had time to sort through all the things that I missed in the chaos. For three weeks, I have been waking up between 2:00-5:00 AM, unable to return to sleep, unable to shut down my brain. This week I even had to take a half day off work to sleep because I was getting sick because of not sleeping.
On Saturday, I made a list and started working through it. My big accomplishment this week is getting the school pictures (aka October mailing) in the mail.
I finally slept through the night the last two nights. Last night I was ready to sleep by 6:00 PM. I made it to 8:30 but the 5:30 alarm was still too early. Maybe this means that my body will start to catch up from the exhaustion and my immune system can start to rebuild.
Still about six months before the boy can do sports but the crazy schedule portion of his healing is coming to an end. I am so ready for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment