Tuesday, September 15, 2015

AIP Friendly Waffles & Cereal

Waffles

A couple of weeks ago I took this recipe:  http://wellnessmama.com/1696/coconut-flour-waffles/ and substituted for the eggs using this chart:  http://chefinyou.com/egg-substitutes-cooking/

Basically, I used 2 cups of pureed bananas for the 8 eggs.

In gluten free cooking I found that I often had to adjust the amount of grease in a recipe so I erred on the "slightly more than 1/2 a cup" of coconut oil.  

After some experimentation with my waffle maker, I found that about one and a half cycles make excellent waffles.  My son was bragging about these to his friends so they were definitely a hit.

I tried this again last week with less oil.  It was a sticky mess.  Err on the side of more oil and then back off until you find what your waffle iron likes as compensation for the bananas.


Cereal (or what passes for cereal in my house)

Chop up the waffles and dry them out.

I use an oven set at 200° F and stir the waffle pieces periodically.  When they are toasted enough for me, I put them in a container in the pantry.  I don't know how long it would last because it is always eaten within a week in our house.

I've never tried using my food dehydrator for this but it would probably work, too.

Eat it in a bowl with coconut milk.

No comments: