Sunday, October 25, 2015

AIP Hashbrowns

In an effort to find some sort of "breakfasty" food, I started looking to see if anyone had a recipe for hashbrowns made from zucchini.

This time of year the zucchini is plentiful and inexpensive so it seemed like a good candidate.

There were several recipes available and I chose to try this one.  (Avoid the pepper if you are off nightshades.)  It is quite good! 

Here is what I learned....

Read the whole recipe before you start shredding.  I have a shredder attachment for my mixer so I figured that I would just shred up all the big ingredients into the same container.  Well, I shredded the zucchini AFTER the potatoes.  That made it difficult to get the squash dry enough.

If you can shred the zucchini a few hours in advance or the night before, you can leave it in the colander/ sieve to drain for a longer time before trying to squeeze out the excess moisture.  (Saves a little work.)

Using a small fresh onion and running it through the shredder works for mincing.  I wasn't quite sure if the recipe author meant dry onion or a fresh onion so I went for fresh.

My son liked this with scrambled eggs.  I ate it without the eggs since I have not started adding foods back in yet.

No comments: