For several years I have been using this recipe for Shepherd's Pie. It is tasty and a quick meal on a busy night.... especially if I think to bake the potatoes the night before or while we are getting ready in the morning.
A few years ago, we found a recipe for Garlic Mashed Cauliflower and topped the Shepherd's Pie with it instead of potatoes. It was also tasty. I have lost that first recipe for Garlic Mashed Cauliflower but decided to dig one up in the spirit of an AIP version of Shepherd's Pie. I landed on this recipe for Garlic Mashed Cauliflower.
So, here is what I changed to make it AIP friendly and more nutrient dense....
Shepherd's Pie Changes
1 1/2 lbs ground beef OR Half a batch of 50/50/50 burger, browned
1-2 cups of vegetables became 2 cups of vegetables
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce became 4 Tbsp Coconut Aminos
No pepper
On the meat mix, I used closer to 2 lbs than 1.5 lbs and 4 Tbsp of the Coconut Aminos was about right. If you like a stronger sauce, experiment with more Aminos.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Changes
Use the cooking liquid instead of milk
No pepper
It happens that we have a friend staying here who cannot eat garlic so I did also substitute a small onion for the garlic this time. I can definitely say that we like both the onion version AND the garlic version.
I used an immersion blender to puree the cauliflower quickly and with not lumps.
At dinner my kid asked, "What kind of potatoes are these?"
I said, "Cauliflower."
Our friend said, "Huh. Now that you say that, it does sort of taste like cauliflower... but I wouldn't have realized it."
I hope it comes out that well the next time!

No comments:
Post a Comment