As states are beginning to make plans for reoopening the economy, I have seen the argument that it is too soon to do so because people with autoimmune and other underlying health issues or who are of senior age will be at more risk.
As I've discussed on this blog in the past, I am one of those with an autoimmune disease. Prior to this whole Covid-19 situation, I was responsible for managing my own autoimmune. Over the years, I have talked with others who have autoimmunes and have learned that they actively make modifications to manage their own health, as well.
Germs that would not really impact someone with a healthy immune system can be a greater risk for us.
Before C19, I often missed karate class, church, and social events because it was necessary to manage my health. On busy weeks, I build a recovery day or two in to my calendar. I take supplements to boost my immune system and scrub my grocery cart in an effort to avoid the transfer of germs that could land me on the couch for weeks. I've been known to decline a handshake in the interest of my health. I also talk to my doctors, who have made it very clear that they can advise me based on their expertise but that I am the one responsible for acting on that information.
With the understanding that C19 can hang in the air in an enclosed space, I now shop during off peak hours (midday during the week) whenever possible. I wear a mask when I enter a retail establishment, not because I think a dust mask protects me much but because it will do more than nothing.
A few years ago, I attended a week long youth program where we were told that, in the interest of communicating realistic understanding, some of the activities would be "safety third". The idea that perceived physical safety should be paramount has also been a facet of my thoughts. [Mike Rowe addresses the "Safety Third" concept more eloquently than I ever could on one of his recent podcasts. If you are not familiar with the term, I encourage you to listen.]
Until recently, I have always been expected to manage my own health and calculate the risks for my own safety without asking anyone to close down their businesses or avoid their own activities.
Because of the fear of Covid-19, I now see/hear people saying that the government should tell me what is needed for the management of my health. That is, we should not reopen the economy because of my health.
No one has ever shut down business or avoided work to manage my health before the recent events. For the record, I do not expect anyone to forgo their economic pursuits to help me manage what I have managed for years.
No comments:
Post a Comment