On Sunday I flew to Phoenix for a Monday morning job interview. It was an interesting trip. Here are some tidbits...
1) The pilot started out the trip by telling us that it was 107 degrees in Phoenix but he was sure it would "cool down" to 104 by the time we landed at 6 PM.
2) The first officer responded to this statement by saying that the "Captain is just excited because the Chargers won today. The Cardinals are playing later on. You should catch the game if you can."
3) The air pressure in the tires of my rental car was apparently optimized for temperatures over 104. When I got up on Monday morning, the car told me that I needed to check the air pressure. Once the outside temperature got to 105 (which was somewhere around 8:30 AM), the car quit notifying me that there was an air pressure problem.
4) If you ride a motorcycle in Phoenix, you have to carry around a little piece of wood or something to put under the kickstand when you park... otherwise the asphalt will melt under your bike and it will topple.
5) People in Phoenix pretty much go from air-conditioned location to air-conditioned location all summer long. This seems like craziness to me: not being able to spend large amounts of time outdoors for a full 6 months of the year.
6) The heat in Phoenix was actually not as bad as a 95+ degree day in Michigan when the humidity is somewhere in the 70th-90th percentile. I survived Michigan.
7) I was told that Phoenix is within a days drive of any type of terrain your heart desires: the beach, mountains (I'm not sure if that's mountains or "mountains"), snow (during the winter), etc. Therefore, it is a great place to live.
All of this new information and the potential job were not enough to convince me to move.
It's OK, though, because I accepted a new job in Denver... where we have four seasons, avoid phenomenons such as "32 straight days of temperatures over 110 degrees", can hike in the summer, and sled/ski/snowboard in the winter.
But the best part of going to Phoenix was... I got to spend time with my awesome cousin Kevin.
1 comment:
I hate Phoenix! I really think it is a horrible, horrible place, and I don't care what anyone says to try to convince me otherwise. Horrible. *shudder*
Post a Comment