Hybrid Designer Cats. (Click that title to read the article.)
It’s getting a little ridiculous here, folks, when people are spending more than $20,000 on a furry feline. Think about this: that cat is equivalent to the down payment on a decent condo in some areas of the U.S.; the cat is more expensive than some cars (twice as much as what my car cost when it was new); the cat is the cost of 1 year of education from a prestigious private college and more expensive than an entire four year education at most state schools.
My friend Rebecca has a way of evaluating the worth of an item. For every time the item is used, that’s $1. Will you get $22,000 of value out of a cat? I mean, $22K is only the beginning. You have to feed the animal, purchase any “needed” accessories (leashes, etc), pay for annual shots and/or other medical items, etc. The article doesn’t give an estimated life expectancy for these animals. Assuming that it is similar to a house cat, say around 15 years, the cat has only 5,475 days…
And don’t tell me that the cat is the same as a child. It’s not. One does not experience the depth of joy and pain associated with having a child with a cat. Children are worth every bit of $22K and more.
Here’s an interesting statement, "We're very careful that there is no genetic downside." Really? You know for sure that that part jungle cat, part house cat hybrid is not going to have a jungle cat reaction 2 years from now? Seems like a difficult promise so early in the practice of hybrid breeding of cats.
It’s almost like Microsoft saying that the first release of an operating system will be bug-free.
I have an idea. Spend $500 on a regular cat. Get a nice one, a pure breed or something. And take the other $21,500 and use it to benefit animals in distress. Give the money to your local animal shelter or donate to the ASPCA. Help out the Red Cross or another organization. Do something responsible.
3 comments:
I'm in your blog! I definately agree with what you said about spending the other $21500 on your local animal shelter. I think I'd be more likely to spend it on my local homeless shelter though.
Dude...that cat does look pretty sweet...but not $22,000 worth of sweet, that's for sure!
I was raised to spend only what you need to on a pet. My step-dad always warned us that if any of our cats got sick, he wouldn't take them to the vet, so we'd better take care of them. (He changed his tune when our obese cat developed bronchitis, but then he immediately gave her away to a nice old lady with a nice big lap!)
Hahaaa, that's hilarious. Previusly, I would not spend $500 getting a cat, however I did adopt my two ktties from the shelter and spent a big $100 on them, plus food and shots - it wasn't that costly to get my two cuties. However, the pet deposit and "pet rent" for my apartment was MUCH more expensive and I found myself spending more than $500 to get (and keep) them.. but I love them, so it's ok.
Post a Comment