Friday, May 02, 2008

Winter Driving Tips...

…inspired by 17 hours on the road in the course of the 26 hours ending at 9 o’clock this morning.

  1. Slow down. When the traffic lights at the next intersection are snowed over, do not assume that this means you have a green light. Slow down and check the situation more carefully.

The inspiration: Yesterday it was snowing in Colorado Springs. As I was looking for a location, I passed a hospital and stopped for the traffic light at the adjacent intersection. The light turned green for me. Since the nearest car was nearly a block away, I assumed he had time to stop on the snow-packed road and began my left turn. Not only did the guy not slow down, he looked completely shocked that I was heeding my own green light. He slammed on the brakes at nearly the last second, locking them up and sending himself into a slide. I hit the accelerator a bit harder thinking that I didn’t want to have to visit the hospital on the corner. He just missed hitting the backend of my truck and then promptly laid on the accelerator again.

  1. Slow down. When the ground is warm causing snow to melt and puddle on the highway, the potential for hydroplaning is greater.

The inspiration: 1) I actually hit a puddle yesterday morning and slid a little. I slowed down. 2) I’m not actually sure of the cause but I can imagine that the accident I saw on my way home was the result of one or more people not driving the correct speed for the conditions. The scene was this: Jack-knifed flatbed blocking off I-25 southbound. Immediately behind that vehicle, a FedEx doubles pulled off to the side of the road. The wall of the second trailer was torn and pealed back, looking like a corrugated box that has been torn leaving the inner layer, the corrugation, and the contents all exposed. There was cargo on the road next to that truck and cars were backed up for miles and miles.

  1. Turn on your headlights. Daytime running lights do not illuminate the taillights of the car. So, in a very snowy situation, the person behind you will find it easier to see your car (no matter what color it is), if they can see your pretty red taillights.

The inspiration: Numerous (easily 40-50%) of the cars I encountered on the highway yesterday morning (near white-out conditions in some areas, heavy snow with low visibility in others) did not have visible taillights. At least once I ended up closer to the vehicle immediately in front of me than was safe because I couldn’t see them. Those with visible taillights were much easier to discern and keeping safe distances back was not difficult. Interestingly, as I was driving home yesterday afternoon, one of the radio DJ’s proceeded to admonish people to turn on their lights for safety.

1 comment:

paul said...

Excellent tips—even in May!