Today I had my home inspection to become certified as a foster parent. (Children are placed in the home as foster children for a minimum defined period of time before adoption can be finalized. Therefore, adoptive parents must first become foster parents.)
It was pretty painless. They came in with a list of 86 items that needed to be considered. Most are generally standard in every American home (running water - both hot and cold, enough plates, enough towels, etc). There are a few things I need to fix: finish painting and get the face plates put back over the outlet boxes, get a larger (5 lb) fire extinguisher, get some escape ladders, get child safety latches for the cupboards, etc.
They also came in with a packet of policies and information on foster care in the county. THAT was very helpful. It answered some of the myriad questions I have and clarified respite care somewhat.
So, I will begin working on getting compliant where needed and the county will begin other things such as getting me background checked, getting clarification on a couple items, and sending out reference letters.
No comments:
Post a Comment