Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Moldy, moldy, moldy

In case you ever need it, Stanford has some interesting resources on the properties of Mold. http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/bytopic/mold/

This weekend we have our annual camping retreat with the BVC Regeneration group. A while back the leadership team sat down and brainstormed what should be the theme of the retreat. That is to say, what should we focus on during teaching times. A whole list of items were thrown out.

The first was "Mold", which I believe was intended to be funny because we were beginning a study on the book of Leviticus which discusses mold problems.

The other topics were more serious. I took the list home and read through the options. The glaring theme through all suggestions was sin and the need for confession and repentance. Seeing no other alternative, I have begun a study on these things.

The Stanford website listed above has an interesting outline based on another article posted on the site regarding how mold is caused and how to reduce it's threats. As I read through the outline, I was struck with how easily the word "mold" could be replaced by the word "sin". The names some of the consequences would have to be changed, obviously.

I challenge you to read through this outline, replace the word "mold" with "sin". What is sin? What causes sin to grow? Why is sin a problem? How does one combat sin? Please share your discoveries in the comment section of this blog!

When we return, I'll share some of my thoughts and, possibly, some from our group.

No comments: