Thursday, October 09, 2008

Adoption Update - Next Steps

People keep asking where we go from here in the adoption process. So I thought I’d explain what is coming up so that it’s not confusing later.


At this point, the county is actively looking for children for me.


When they find children, they will call me and give me some information about the boys. I will have some time to think and pray about it.


When I call and say that I’d like more information, they will schedule the “Presentation”. The Presentation is a time where most of the adults involved in the children’s lives (caseworkers, foster parents, possibly therapists or doctors, etc) will get together and give me a data dump of information on the boys. I’ll have the opportunity to ask questions (working on a list already). They will tape the session and when I leave, I’ll take the tape and a copy of the boys’ medical records with me.


If, after further review, thinking, and prayer, I am still interested, they will schedule the “Blind Visit”. This will be a time where I can meet the boys but they don’t know that I am a potential parent. The visit may occur at the foster family’s home or in a public setting like a park or restaurant.


If I’m still interested after meeting them, the caseworker will take a series of pictures (of both me and my house) and information about me to the kids and use those as a way of introducing me to them.


If they are cool with getting to know me better (since they are older, they will have the option), we begin scheduling visits. Eventually the visits will become overnights at my house. And eventually, they will move in.

No comments: