Today I had to go do some testing near a mountainous area different from usual. I went south to the San Isabel area. I had thought that this was considered part of the San Juans but it doesn't seem to be labeled as such on the forest service website.
At any rate, the clouds were so low to the ground that I couldn't see even a little bit of Pikes Peak when I drove by in the morning. It was gray and cloudy until I started up a little, windy, nine-mile dirt pass. As I got near the top but still on the north side, I could see through the aspens and evergreens to a sloping meadow-valley covered in snow with little bits of brush poking through. I'm glad the road was dirt. It would have seemed so out of place if it were paved.
I wish I had had a camera with me. I was thinking that if I ever decided to move away from Colorado that I would have to come back sometimes in the winter just to drive through areas like that. I do love the look of my home state.
When the road reconnected with pavement, there were a several numbered trails intersecting the highway. One of these trails had a sign up: "Prescribed burn in process." I laughed so hard. There is snow all over the ground and the foliage is certainly wet. There could not possibly have been (and I didn't see one) a prescribed burn in process. That would have made a good picture, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment