Thursday, August 13, 2009

Clogged Drains

It's well known among my friends that I have an allergy to many fragrances. People have been kind enough to trade me ends of the pew at church when a nearby person is wearing too much perfume or cologne. Cleaning with any sort of chemical is tedious because I have to go outside about every 2 minutes to breathe. As a result, I'm always looking for ways to clean with normal household products.

Baking Soda, Vinegar,and even Olive Oil seem to be incredibly useful in the cleaning world. In fact, I buy the big 12 lb bag of baking soda from Costco. I use it to refill my fridge & freezer deodorizers, polish tarnished jewelry, and now to unclog drains.

Not only am I not allergic to these products but they are also much less expensive than buying the chemical cleaners. Sometimes there is a trade-off of time or elbow-grease; but just as often, there is no trade off at all.

I found the article below for unclogging drains. Tried it out today and it does work. Yea! One tip: lightly press the baking soda into the drain (if possible). It seems to help the junk break up better. I had a pretty stubborn clog so it took 3 times through the recipe... but it would have probably taken 2 times through a chemical composition, as well. A bit more time involved but much less cost.

How to Unclog A Drain Naturally

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I like to use baking soda and vinegar on my hair. I usually alternate..one day I'll use the vinegar after shampooing, and then a few days later I'll use baking soda in place of shampoo. With either, I mix about 2 tablespoons of it with warm water in a bottle, shake it up, pour on, let it set for a few minutes, and rinse well. It strips off all of the gunk and makes my hair feel great!!