Since I can't have potatoes right now, I thought it might be interesting to try this soup using Sweet Potatoes. My boy is not the biggest fan of sweet potatoes so his statement, "That actually tastes good" means that he considers it worth eating.
The soup is still a little sweeter than I think I like. Next time I would add a little more salt to negate the sweetness. Here's what I changed to make this recipe AIP friendly.
- Bacon is nitrite/nitrate and sugar free. Save the bacon grease.
- Sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. (If your store only sells the big sweet potatoes, you may have to guess that one sweet potato is the same as 2 regular russets.) Make sure the cubes are bite sized as you won't be blending the whole soup.
- Substitute Cream mix:
- 3-4 tablespoons of bacon grease
- approximately 1 c of Coconut Concentrate (from Mickey Trescott's "The Autoimmune Paleo Cookbook")
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1.5 tsp dried chopped cilantro (thought I had fresh in the fridge and discovered I did not; if you use fresh cilantro, go with the 3 tsp in the original recipe)
- Salt but no pepper as I am off nightshades
![]() |
| Finished Soup |
![]() |
| "Cream" Mixture |
I was worried about the thickness of the soup since there seemed to be a lot of the chicken stock. However, it turned out just fine after I ran my immersion blender.


No comments:
Post a Comment