Yesterday I was listening to the message "Imitation" by Michael Hidalgo of Denver Community Church (http://denverchurch.org/?q=audio).
At some point he mentioned that Jesus' 12 disciples were all under the age of 20. This I have known for a while. But I guess I thought that they were all around the same age and have pictured the disciples to be around the ages of 14, 15, and/or 16. Michael mentioned that some think John may have been as young as 8.
This presents a whole new picture. If the disciples ranged in age from 8-19, I have a whole new view of the short story in Matthew 19, Mark 10, & Luke 18 where people bring Jesus their infants and children. In this story, the disciples turn the people away and Jesus says, "Hey, don't keep the children from hanging out with me. The kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." It it possible that the disciples were thinking possessively, as children sometimes do, "Hey, this is our friend/youth pastor/father figure, not yours. Leave him alone"?
I've always thought about this passage with the disciples in a more mature frame of mind before. Hm.
1 comment:
envy!
Post a Comment