Today is the middle of the week. The company I interviewed with last week said that they would be finished interviewing other candidates by the middle of this week and that the next step is an offer.
My stomach is pretty upset; I want to cry; and I have to hold it all together and be friendly to all the people who walk in my office.
Not that anyone really wants to know that. Over the last 12 months I’ve learned that what people want to know is “How is the job search going?” not “How do you feel about what is going on with the job search?” And, of course, that question needs to be followed up with actually listening to where I am at.
But what I really need people to ask is the second question.
Our brother Jon has had some real frustrations in looking for a job, as well. I wonder if any of us have really taken the time to ask him the second question and just let him dump his frustrations without trying to fix it?
1 comment:
I remember Pastor Jim referencing a book called "The Seven Levels of Intimacy" in sermon a couple months back (I think). "How is the job search going?" is a question of fact: Level 2. "How do you feel about how the job search is going?" is a question of feelings: Level 5 (and could to push to Level 6, fears and failures). This just reflects what you are saying, that the difference between those two questions is huge!
Thanks for the encouragement to show love by asking better questions!
Post a Comment