Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Project 1.27

Last night Cassie and I attended the orientation for using Project 1.27 as the "middle-man" for adopting children from the Colorado Foster Care system. A lot of information on requirements and expectations was communicated to us. We learned about the different types of support people that adoptive parents need to have (I'll talk more about that in a later post) and had the opportunity to sign up for required classes.

I really like the way that Project 1.27 sets up the process. They encourage adoption in "community" which essentially means that you have people who have committed to be a support system.

Last night was a lot of introductory information so that people can consider whether they wish to adopt from the Colorado foster system. It was also introductory information for those on the support team.

For those of us who have been thinking about this for a while already, there was an opportunity to begin the process and pick up the (very thick) application packet. I now have a big pile of paperwork to fill out and a few more aspects of this whole thing that I will need to think through.

I encourage you to take a look at the information on the Project 1.27 website to gain familiarity with the journey on which I have embarked. Click on any of the Project 1.27 links in this post to get there.

1 comment:

Cassie T. said...

It was so helpful, I think, that orientation. I didn't even remember that I had brought knitting!
I am so excited for you, and proud of all the stuff you had already thought of before we got there.