Someone somewhere, possibly in one of the classes I took, reminded us that older children in foster care often remember one or both of their parents. Therefore, be prepared for the possibility that they may not want to call their adoptive parents “Mom” or “Dad”.
I figured that this is not a battle worth fighting. I have no problem with being called by my first name. Especially given that my son has known me as his mentor for 6 months and has called me by my first name the whole time.
So, tonight we were writing Thank You cards for Christmas gifts. He had a list of cards to write and so did I. At the end of his list was my name with the items that he received for Christmas. When he got to that one, he looked at me and said, “You should have written ‘Mom’.”
I was surprised because he’s never referred to me by that name.
“I didn’t know that’s what you wanted to call me.”
He proceeded to cross out my name and write “Mom” and then look at me and say “MOOOOOOOM!”
Well, ok, then. I won’t get that one wrong again. ;*)
3 comments:
What a nice little blessing that is! I am so excited for you!
Ah, what can you say to that?? I never called Kevin "Dad" in the whole twelve years he WAS my dad, and even up until today. That's a big thing.
Yes, definitely a blessing. A really big deal.
I wish you could have seen the little mischevious look on his face just before he belted out that drawn out "MOM". It was all I could do not to laugh out loud. I love that kid.
Post a Comment