Thursday, September 30, 2010

Adoption Hearing - Planned

On Tuesday, September 28, just before 10:00 AM, I received a phone call asking, "How is tomorrow at 10:00 AM for the adoption hearing?" 

Checked my work calendar and said that it was fine and then I finally processed the information.

I said, "Wait.  Are you serious?" 

She said, "Yes."

"Ok, we'll be there."

"Are you sure that's ok?  Do you need to notify anyone?"

"I have text messaging for that.  What about the caseworker and GAL?"

"I'll notify them."

"Ok.  See you tomorrow, then."

I picked my son up from his after school program and we were discussing what the evening would look like.  I told him that he needed to finish his homework and chore before playing. 

And then I said, "Let's talk about how tomorrow will look."  He's used to this kind of conversation preparing him for what is coming the next hour or the next day.  It's a serious conversation where he's supposed to pay attention so that he knows what is expected of him.


He said, "Ok."

"Tomorrow morning.... The bell rings for you to go in to the school a little before class starts, right?"

"Yes."

"How long before?"

"5 or 10 minutes."

"Ok.  We'll be at the school at 7:15 tomorrow morning and we'll go in so that you can turn in your reading and math homework."

"Are you taking me to school tomorrow instead of the bus?"

"Well, I'm taking you to turn in your homework.  Then you're coming home with me.  I figure you'll have trouble focusing on class since you're being adopted tomorrow."

"Oh. [pause] REALLY?  It's TOMORROW?!?"

I started laughing.  "Yep."

"I'M SO EXCITED!!"  He grabbed my arm and tried to hug me while I was driving.  "When did you find this out?"

"I got a phone call this morning."

"You know what, mom?  I'M SO EXCITED!  I'M GOING TO BE ADOPTED!"


This is right around 5 weeks short of three years since I started making it public that I was planning to adopt.  It is 5 months short of being 3 years since I started the process.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I just couldn't be more happy for you!