Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Adventures in Finding a House

One of the first priorities in moving is to find us a place to live.  Today I set up appointments to see several houses/townhomes/duplexes in our new community.

One of the houses is being leased by a property management company.  It’s been posted on Craig’s List for a while.  At first I wasn’t too sure that they actually wanted to rent out the house... Here’s the conversation.

“I’m calling about the house at [address] in [town].  Is it still available?”

“Yes.  But it’s a 2 bedroom and it rents for $795.”

“Right.  I’m interested in seeing it.  I’m currently out of state but I will be in town on Saturday.  Can I get an appointment to see the house Saturday afternoon?”

“We’re open 8:15-5:00 Monday-Friday.”

“So there’s no way for me to see a property outside of business hours?  I live out of state and I’ll be in town on Saturday to look at properties.”

“Well, where do you work?”

“[Company Name].”

“You work for [Company]?!”

“Yes.”

“How long have you worked there?”

“Three years.”

“Oh.  And you’re moving to Michigan?”

“Yes.”

“Hold on.”

After a pause she came back.

“The leasing agent will be in Texas this weekend.”

“Well, I live out of state.  I will be there on Saturday.  No one else can show me the property?”

“No.”

“Ok.  Well, can you email me the application and I’ll ask one of my friends to look at it?”

“The application fee is $35.”  This information was on the advertisement.

“I know.  Can you email me the application and I’ll ask one of my friends to look at the property?”

“It rents for $795.”

“Right.  Can you email me the application and I’ll ask someone to look at the property?”

“What’s your weekly take home?”

“Hang on.  I have to calculate that.”

“Or bi-weekly?”

“Bi-weekly is [dollar amount] and this position is a promotion so it will likely be a bit more.”

“OH.  Hold on.”

New voice comes on the phone.

“Who would be living there?”

“Myself and my son.”

“Well it’s only 1200 square feet.”

“That’s ok.  I live in 950 right now so 1200 will be sufficient.”

“But it’s only 2 bedrooms.”

“That’s all I need.  Plus it has a yard and it says that dogs are allowed.”

“What kind of a dog do you have?”

“We’re planning to get a blue heeler.”

“What kind of dog is that?”

“It’s a medium size dog.”

“Well, no pit bulls.”

“I’m not getting a pit bull.  I’m getting a blue heeler.”

“I won’t be here to show you the place on Saturday.”

“Ok.  Well then email me the application and I’ll ask one of my friends to look at it for me.”

“But you have to see it.  What if your friend has different ideas than you?”

“She has higher standards than I do so if she likes it, I’ll like it.  It’s ok for her to look at the house.  But my signature still needs to be on the application so please email me the application.”

“But YOU need to be the one to look at the house.”

“Well, I will only be in town on Saturday to look at properties and I’d like to execute a lease by November 1.”

Sounds like someone scrambling to find paper or get someone’s attention.  “Can I get your name and phone number and I’ll see if I can find someone to show you the house on Saturday?”

“Ok.”

Original voice comes back on the phone.

“What’s your name?  Phone number?  Ok, we’ll call you back.”

2 comments:

Alice Robbins said...

No wonder it has been on Craig's List for so long!!! What a hassle!! :)

Kate said...

It must have been difficult not to have hung up on her!