Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Adventures in Moving: Part 1

Friday morning I was able to finish up my daily work responsibilities before noon.  I turned in all of my gear and headed out.  Home around noon to finish up some packing and cleaning with the help of my mom.

Then we packed finished up packing the car and headed to my son’s school for the end of day going away party. 

One girl told me, “I bet it will take all night to drive to Michigan.”  When I said, “All night and the next day, too”, I got a wide-eyed, “Wow!”

We went to visit my grandmother.  She was in the community room at her residence singing along with the karoake DVD of old hymns.  “Oh, hi!  I haven’t seen you in a while!  Yeah, I’m singing these songs.  I know all of these.”

“Yep, I know you know all of these.  How are you?”

“I’m good.  Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves...  What are you doing?”

“We’re moving to Michigan.  Thought we’d stop in and see you before we left.”

“Well, I’m glad you did.  Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!”

Grandma is so cute.  Talking to us was not going to stop her hymn-sing.

We stopped to see another friend, picked up Rebecca, and headed out toward the airport.  One of my other friends was flying in from far away to surprise her parents and we wanted to see each other, however briefly, before leaving.  Her brother and sister-in-law were very kind to get us all together that evening. :*)

Then they went off to surprise her parents and we hit the road.

Stayed the night in Gothenburg, NE and then got back on the road the next morning.  Nebraska feels like the longest part of the drive.  We tried to catch up with some friends in Omaha for lunch but they got the message after we were somewhere in Iowa. Sad face.

About 35 miles west of Davenport, IA, around 5:30 Mountain Time, it was dark and we were tooling along doing the speed limit of 70 mph.  Suddenly a large bird was coming at our car.  Rebecca said, “A bird!” just as I also noticed it and an instant before it basically shattered the passenger side of the windshield.  Rebecca was no longer able to navigate because she could not read signs through the broken glass.  There were bits of glass on the dash but, thankfully, no actual holes in the glass.  (It held up the rest of the trip.)

We pulled off in Ottawa, IL for the night.  It was earlier than I had planned.  Actually, I was planning to drive straight on to Lansing before finding a place to sleep.  However, neither my son nor Rebecca has ever made the drive before.  We had crossed the Mississippi in the dark and Rebecca was kind of disappointed to not see it.  So, I thought it would be good for them to be able to see the rest of the drive, especially crossing in to Michigan. 

Sunday morning we slept late and didn’t get on the road until 10:30 Eastern Time.  I got a little lost in the toll road areas south of Chicago.  I should have followed my analysis of where to turn off instead of the MapQuest directions.  Note to self:  ‘You are smarter than a computer when it comes to reading a map.  Stop acting as if this is not a significant skill used regularly for work.’

We got to my friend’s house on the south side of Lansing just before 6:00 to pick up the keys.  Then we came home, unloaded the car, went to Meijer to pick up needed groceries, came home and set up our camping beds.  Kiddo went to sleep while we packed his lunch and got things ready for Monday. 

No comments: