Thursday, June 16, 2022

Longevity and Mobility

Today I called my rheumatologist's office and they were able to get me in right away. Usually I have quite a wait to get in.

We discussed what happened with my foot and other things I've been experiencing since April. I asked if these are signs that the disease is progressing and he said that they are. 

It is time to be more active about managing the progression of the disease instead of just the pain. I have a friend to tells me to consider "longevity and mobility". I have been thinking about that but slightly different: longevity OF mobility. 

If the disease is progressing at whatever rate this is now and it is not routed or slowed in any way, I will be very crippled before retirement. I have goals in retirement that include being able to move around. Honestly, I have goals now that would get tossed if this thing isn't slowed! 

So, I decided that the risks of the medication that was recommended are worth it, if my body will tolerate them. I am still nervous because of how sick I got the last time I was on RA medication. 

Tomorrow I start weekly injections. The effects of the meds should begin to be felt in about 3 weeks with full effectiveness around 10 weeks. 

I'm a little nervous about giving myself a shot but at least it's not another pill to upset my stomach!

No comments: