I’ve been researching 529 College Saving Plans. A few people have asked for my notes when I finish so I said I’d see about posting them here on the blog. I created a spreadsheet with the plans I reviewed and pertinent information about each of the plans, including published fees and where to find more detailed information.
Basically, it all comes down to money, right? In the end, each of us will have to evaluate whether the desired plan has the right balance of return on investment, administration fees, and tax advantages. (Of course you could always start with one plan and roll over to another one at a later date.)
If you are interested in investing in the AmericanFunds option listed in the spreadsheet, let me know and I’ll put you in touch with the investment professional that I know. The CollegeInvest enrollment options are detailed on the CollegeInvest website.
One other note: Only 1 of the 4 plans reviewed offers automatic transfer of Upromise earnings. If you choose a different plan and you participate in Upromise, you can still have your Upromise savings put into the account; it is just a more manual process.
| | Name | Initial Investment | Monthly investment req'd? | Admin | Fees | Other Comments |
| College Invest | Stable Value Plus | $25 | No; No minimum on followup investments | MetLife | Enrollment: Free
| Very low risk. Principal investment protection plus minimum rate of return guarantee. 100% stable fund investment. www.collegeinvest.org for details. CO tax benefits. |
| College Invest | Direct Portfolio | $25 | No; minimum $15 investment on investments after initial | Vanguard & Upromise | Enrollment: Free
| 11 investment options. Offers automatic investment change to more conservative investments as child ages. Upromise automatic transfer participating plan. Online account access. www.collegeinvest.org for details. CO tax benefits. |
| College Invest | Scholars Choice | $250 | No; minimum $50 investment/ investment after initial | Legg Mason Global Asset Allocation, LLC | Enrollment: Not stated. See investment professional for info.
| 8 investment options. Offers automatic investment change to more conservative investments as child ages. Online account access. www.collegeinvest.org for details. CO tax benefits. |
| American Funds | College | $50 with automatic monthly investment or $250 otherwise | $50 on automatic plan; otherwise no. | American Funds/ Wachovia Securities | Enrollment: $10
| 22 investment options. Work with investment professional to change to more conservative investments as child ages. Online account access. www.americanfunds.com for details. VA tax benefits. |
4 comments:
Crystal,
Great information on our program, some small corrections, currently you can't link Upromise Rewards to Scholars Choice and have an automatic 'sweep' for the advisor sold plan. It's more of the manual process that you alluded too. For now, this only works for Direct Portfolio and will soon be active for the Stable Value Plus plan.
Also to clarify the state income tax deduction is dollar for dollar up to the plan contribution maximum of $280K, current state tax rate is 4.63%.
Thanks, David. I had forgotten to delete the "Upromise" line when I copied and pasted to the Scholar's Choice Comments field. It's been corrected.
Post a Comment