Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Looking for money

Generally speaking, I get annoyed with solicitors. My number is on the "Do Not Call" list. If someone calls trying to sell something or to ask for $$, I sometimes let them do their pitch but more often I abruptly say "No, thank you. Please remove my name from your calling list." and hang up.

Last night I got a call asking for a donation to a kids program in the neighborhood. The man said, "Hi, this is ___ from ____. I'm calling about [xyz] kids program. Are you familiar with it?"

I said, "Yes."

"So you know about all the things that the program provides?"

"Yes."

"I'm looking for money."

This is certainly the first time that someone has been that up front with me during a solicitation call. No beating around the bush; no attempt to coerce a donation. Just a flat out statement of the need. That goes a lot further with me than all the back door attempts to get money.

I wonder whether other people see it that way? If some were to flat out tell you what they need rather than trying to coerce it out of you, would you be more willing to share?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I MUCH prefer the soft sell of "This is what I'm offering and these are the strings attached, are you interested?" approach.
-Amanda Tin