Today we decided to go to the park to shoot some hoops. Only when we got there, we couldn't find a basketball court. My son is not highly impressed with my knowledge of (ahem, or lack thereof) the ameneties at parks near the house.
Thankfully, we always have a football and a soccer ball in the car for last minute picnics or stops at parks. He opted for the football.
Clearly he was not expecting much from me. Let's face it, I'm not exactly atheletic. He's seen me shoot hoops. He usually schools me every time.
So today we're tossing the football back and forth and he says in some surprise, "You're actually pretty good at football." I asked what he meant by that. "Well, for a girl. I mean, you can throw a spiral. Most girls can't do that." I decided not to tell him that I don't remember the last time I tossed around a ball with someone. I'm pretty sure my arm will ache in the morning.
Immediately after he makes this comment, he tells me to kick the ball. Right. In my boots (my tennis shoes are in my gym bag somewhere and the ground is still a little soft from the last snow anyway). He was gracious enough not to follow up with, "But you suck at punting. Now my ball is on the other side of the fence by the highway!" Instead he commenced to try and climb the fence. I realized that once on the other side, he would lack the supports to climb back over. So we got in the car and drove around to the highway.
At that point I had already been informed that this is his favorite football (second time he's used it) and he wants it back. So he's a little irritated that I kicked it over the fence.
We get around to the area where the ball is and I asked if he wanted to get out and get the ball (it was in the area on the passenger side of the car that would have been grassy if it were summer) or if I should do it. He gave me a look that said, "This is all your fault. You're going to go get it" as he just pointed at me.
Once he had the ball back in his hands, all was immediately forgiven.... And we went back to the park, to a field further from the fence, and spent an hour playing. At one point I told him he was wearing me out. He informed me, "I know. It's so that you will sleep well tonight." (He was pretty proud of that one.)
I know he was annoyed about the ball going over but I found the whole situation pretty funny. And, of course, it gave us an opportunity to talk about a few things. Chances are good that the football over the fence will be passed around to all the guys tomorrow. I get to look forward to harassment from multiple teenage boys about my inability to kick the ball. :*P
Life would be pretty boring if the football didn't go over the fence once in a while.
2 comments:
"It's so that you will sleep well tonight." HAHHAHAHAH! I'm reading this in a cafe and laughing out loud. Oh man, I wish I could have been there for that one. Love you guys. =)
I love the fact that you have a son and you get to play football! I can't wait to meet him!
Post a Comment