Sunday, July 06, 2014

Blogs and Websites I Regularly Source and Information that Modifies My Use of Them

I may update this listing over time.  These are just locations that I can think of right now.

Gluten Free on A Shoestring:  Every recipe (especially the desserts) I have used off of this website have been excellent.  I did purchase the GFOAS Bakes Bread recipe book that recently came out.  Many people love it.  I discovered two things:  First, that nearly every recipe requires Modified Tapioca (or “Expandex”) as an ingredient.  I bought a supply of that and then got to wondering what it meant to “modify” Tapioca.  I didn’t find any significant detail in my web searches but did learn that this ingredient is chemically modified.  This bothered me so much that I couldn’t bring myself to make another recipe.  On top of that, many of the recipes are very time consuming and my single-parent with an active kid lifestyle couldn’t take it.  I ended up giving the book and Expandex to someone else in the community who was more able to spend the time.  I still use other recipes off the website on a regular basis.

The Frugal Farm Wife:  This lady has all sorts of tips and tricks, in addition to GF recipes.

Recipe Websites such as AllRecipes:  Some of these websites have good GF recipes.  Many recipes are GF but not labelled as such.  I have learned to read ingredients to see whether the recipe is useful or modifiable.

No comments: