Wednesday, July 09, 2014

Random Shopping Notes

A collection of random things I've learned about shopping for Gluten Free food:

Kroger (King Soopers) has an official "Nature's Market" section where they advertise Gluten Free foods to be found.  They also stock GF pasta in the pasta aisle so it pays to look around at all the options.

Jimmy Dean bulk sausage in the 1 lb roll has a little tiny note on the back mentioning that it is Gluten Free.

Baking Powder may contain gluten.  Verify that baking powder is GF before buying. 

Bullion cubes may contain gluten.  Verify that bullion cubes are GF before buying.

There is one brand of Falafel mix that I have found that is GF.  Unfortunately, I recognize the box when I see it but I don't know the brand.  It doesn't say "Gluten Free" on the box but when you read the ingredients, the only flour used is Garbanzo Bean flour.  Other brands also have all purpose or wheat flours in the mix.

Most GF Flour tortillas taste like paper.  If you find a decent tasting brand, please share it in the comments.  I typically use corn tortillas for everything I eat now unless I find time to make my own tortillas.  (I still buy my son the regular flour tortillas.)

Kroger stocks chicken based brat/ smoked sausages that are GF.  They usually place them near the lunch meat instead of near the other sausages.  We've taken these camping and they do have a great flavor.

Per unit, it is usually less expensive to source flours online.  (This may not be true if you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's near you.)  I typically use Vitacost for my flours but there may be other websites worth checking.

No comments: