The biggest thing I look for in modifying a recipe is whether a binding agent is absolutely necessary in the recipe. If not, then I can experiment with substituting a different type of flour in to the recipe. Rice Flour, either white or brown, and Corn Flour are my favorites substitutes for all purpose flour if a binding agent is unnecessary.
For instance, my chicken strips don’t need a binding agent in the flour because egg is what really makes the flour stick to the chicken. This makes it easy to substitute my corn flour in to the recipe.
Likewise, in a gumbo, I just need flour as a thickener or to cook and color for a roux. So, I can substitute in rice flour.
If the binding agent (gluten) is necessary to the recipe, then it is time to use a Cup-for-cup type of flour in place of the All Purpose Flour and experiment from there.
No comments:
Post a Comment