Saturday, May 21, 2022

Dr. Doggy


One thing that has been bothering me about my foot problem the last few weeks is the my dog's response. 

When I tore my meniscus, he wouldn't let another dog near my leg. He was very protective of it. After I had repair surgery for both ACL and Meniscus, he carefully went around the bandage and incision. As the incision healed, he was willing to move closer to the knee. But he never touched my knee until it was healed.

I think he can smell an incision, infection, or whatever. If it's not that, there is some way that he knows when there is tissue damage. 

With my foot, he acts like nothing is wrong. At night he doesn't mind leaning on my foot to sleep. Last night he dropped a small ball on it with no thought.

Based on this multi-week consultation with Dr. Doggy, I am struggling to believe that there is any infection in my foot.

My doctor called me Wednesday evening and told me that, after a consultation with the doctor to which he is referring me, they are leaning toward the thought that the bone may be dying because of damage to the blood vessel feeding it. Since a dying bone doesn't seem to impact soft tissue, it would seem logical to me that the dog is not aware of it in the same way that he is aware of an incision or other damage.

Too bad I don't know if he can sniff out a tumor...

Dr. Doggy is really falling down on the job here. I guess I have to wait for the CT Scan and human doctors.

No comments: