Remembering to update everyone who asks to be informed is hard for me. So, resurrecting my blog to keep everyone updated on this journey. Here we go...
When my podiatrist discovered that the head of the one bone is missing in my foot, he said that it was not an acute break. He was certain that it is occurring over time. He wanted to check for bone tumor, bone infection, or whatever else.
The MRI was Thursday evening. What I didn't know was that my insurance needed to approve the procedure before I could have it. I found this out when they called me at 6:30 PM to say that "the procedure your doctor ordered has been approved". Well, that is good since it is in an hour and a half! God brought that in right in the nick of time and now I know to watch for it in the future. A friend went with me and prayed over the procedure that it would reveal to the doctor the things he needs to know.
Several people have reached out for a status post MRI.
To start off, I completely forgot how palpable radio waves can be at close range to the transmitter. This is what I was thinking about during the MRI. My foot was encased in a special boot and the electromagnetic energy was primarily focused within the boot. Back when I used to visit rooftop cell sites and mountaintop sites where higher powered antennas might be collocated, I have felt the radio energy. Many memories flitted through my mind. As I periodically speak to teen girls on radio waves, I can add a new dimension to my discussion when MRI is mentioned.
I received the MRI report on Friday afternoon. I am not a doctor and have no medical training. I am not a fan of the unknown and I live in an age where I can easily access definitions. Good analysis happens when evidence can be followed to a natural conclusion so no pre-determined conclusions are allowed. However, I am also a person who needs time to think and collaborate in order to get questions together so some research is necessary.
So, I looked up the words in the report that I didn't know and I am sure that my very capable doctor will give me a better read out on Wednesday.
Based on my limited knowledge, my understanding is that the MRI may show that there is something causing the bone loss over time. Trauma to the location, a tumor, or infection are among the potential causes. This is in line with the initial suspicions of my doctor. The doctor who wrote the MRI report indicated that a CT scan may be needed. We'll see what my doctor says when I see him.
I am not worried about the outcome but I like to be prepared.
I am compiling questions. You are free to contribute to the list. I also pulled some recommended questions off of a Mayo Clinic article.
While I don't currently feel inclined to do much research on local oncologists, I have asked for some advice, in the event that such a referral is needed.
Mayo Clinic says that infectious disease and orthopedic are the likely specialists needed for bone infection. I do feel very inclined to research infectious disease doctors in the area. Recommendations for or against individuals is welcome.
I can't really explain why I have an inclination to research the one more than the other right now. It just is.
Several people have mentioned that they think I am compartmentalizing. I will honestly say that I am not. I definitely have the female brain that considers all issues concurrently… and the boot keeps me very aware of this particular problem. But I do create a framework for managing any situation to keep me from being overwhelmed by the unknown.
I always told my son that handling a crisis is 3 steps, repeated as needed: pray, develop a plan, execute the plan. So in this situation, prayer is over all, the plan is under development and will be rooted in the recommendations of my doctor, and some items will execute while others are still being determined.
Last week I was reading in 1 Kings. There was a king, I forget which one, where the author pointed out that he put his faith solely in human physicians. It was just a statement but it seemed pointed. Yesterday I was reading 2 Kings 1. Ahaziah did not recover his injury because he reached for a false god. I want to be very intentional to be seeking the true God through every step, knowing that He will utilize the expertise of the medical professionals to accomplish His purposes in this. I greatly appreciate all who are praying with me. I used to know someone who would say, "Prayer is the most important thing." That is true.
From the messages I have received, I am aware that many are worried. When you begin to worry about this situation, please meditate on Matthew 6:25-34.
Pray for my doctor to have the wisdom for the next step. Pray for myself and my friend who is attending the next appointment to know what questions to ask. Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment