Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Why?

Some have asked why I don’t post pics of my son here on my blog.  Thought I’d take a minute and answer that question.

I don’t post pictures of my son primarily for his protection.  Foster children have often been in many different homes and most have had some sort of trauma.  I think posting pics would be disrespectful to my son primarily because it has the potential to expose him to people who have treated him poorly in the past.  Since this is a public blog, this is one measure I can take to protect him while still sharing about our journey toward becoming a family.

The other reason I don’t post pictures is actually that I have not asked the county for permission to do so.  Since my son is not yet legally my child, it is appropriate for me to ask those who are legally responsible for permission prior to posting any photographs.

Another protective measure I take is to avoid posting my son’s name online.  Both here and on social networking sites, I always refer to him as “my son”, “kid”, “kiddo”, or some other generic name.  In fact, if I see that someone has posted a comment that includes his name, I will actually delete it. 

This is, again, for his protection and pretty much for the same reasons given previously.

No comments: